Tuesday, November 28, 2017

WIP: Adeptus Custodes

Custodes Warrior Blown Up

I'm closing out November with a short progress post on the Adeptus Custodes squad I've been painting.  The US Thanksgiving holiday among other family projects has slowed progress a bit. Yet progress there is...

Adeptus Custodes WIP

With the armor done, the detailing began in earnest with crests, leather work and gun metal.   By and by, I realized the forearm guards were meant to be leather so that got done. I was surprised how long it took to get the base colors and highlights down on these areas for five models.  It's a good thing I'm not doing this for a living! 

I am using the paint recipe from Warhammer TV's "How to paint Custodian Guards" as a guide for this project.  My golds are all Vallejo (Brass, Gold, and Old Gold) as are my other metals (Gun Metal, Steel, Silver), but the other colors are true to the recipe.  

Adeptus Custodes WIP

The squad is coming to life!  I have the first base coat on the blades (not shown) and I will complete the blades on my next session.  The banner pole needs to get some love, then I need to attach the shields and clean things up.  Oh, and of course the squad leader must get attention on his bald head and cloak which have gone untouched to this point. Not having any clear deadline, I've been taking this one slow and easy.  Plenty going on as my family launches into the busy holiday season.  No need to add hobby stress to the mix.

Once I have the squad complete I'll knock the bases out and get everything attached.  The bases have been built and primed black for some time; waiting in the wings for some hobby love. The Custodes really pop with color on the table and I'm looking forward to adding the completed squad to my done pile.  Then it'll be time to consider banging together the second squad as wielding halberds. Perhaps in time to add the new HQ that got announced this week.  Though I'm in no rush there as these models likely won't see much table play.  This has largely been an art project for me with some satisfaction in adding such legendary warriors to my collection.

Cheers and Happy Gaming! 

No comments:

Post a Comment