Thursday, October 27, 2016

Dreadtober 2016: Update 4

Photo/Drawing/Logo by Todd @ Sincain40k

My Dreadtober 2016 project is complete!  This week I tweaked the highlights to lighten them strategically where I felt I hadn't done enough to sharpen the highlights and call out the areas catching the most light. This included some additional highlights on the base.  I also decided to add heat effects to the barrels of the lascanon and assault canon as well as the exhaust stacks on the dreadnought's back.  This and some other cleanup complete, I laid down the final coat of flat varnish and chose to call this one DONE.



Following advice from Kenny Boucher over at Next Level Painting, I choose Testors Model Master Lacquer Overcoat Lusterless (Flat). Bell of Lost Souls has a post from him where this is recommended.

Here are some closeups of the heat effects work.  I'm really new with the techniques for this effect, but pleased none-the-less with the results!  My approach was to focus on the darkest discoloration coming from where the heat source originates, lightening as things get farther away and begin to cool (relatively speaking).



 I will close with a final set of project pictures.




 Cheers and Happy Gaming!



3 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing him up and he looks fantastic. I love all the little details like the scriptwork and staining on the exhaust. It works really well with the crisp look of the gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Joe. Great job manning this year's Dreadtober. I'll look forward to kicking in again next year if things go on. Lots of great entries this year.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave! I'm sure we will have someone host it next year. Though it's starting to get so big that we need to figure out other options.

      Delete